Have you tried Risotto before? In Thailand we eat rice everyday, but when is the last time you had Risotto? Risotto is a traditional Northern Italian dish, wich is prepared with a specific short-grained rice grown in Italy. But, you don’t need to buy expensive and imported rice from Italy, because Thailand offers “Kaao Doi” (mountain rice) which grows in Northern Thailand and is extremely similar to Risotto rice and works perfectly. Here is our Thai-Italian Style Risotto with Cheddar and Mozzarella cheese. This is such a flavorful, creamy and pleasing dish. Soul food pure!
Ingredients (4 people)
250g Risotto rice or Kaao Doi
300g mushrooms (Orenji, Champions)
100g Swees Cheddar
100g Swees Mozzarella
1 red onion
2 garlic cloves
50g margarine (e.g Nuttelex)
800ml vegetable stock
salt and pepper
1. Heat the margarine in a skillet and sauté the finely sliced garlic and onions.
2. Add the mushrooms and sauté for another 5min until golden brown. Set aside.
3. Use the same skillet and pour the vegetable stock to a boil and add the rice. Add the carrots (or other vegetables). Cook until the rice is soft.
4. Add the cheese and let it melt. Stir well.
5. Add the mushrooms from step 2 into the dish, give it a nice stir again.
6. Garnish with spring onions and pepper. Enjoy!